SAFTA nominations for The Brave Cartel short film
When We Were Kids is a 6-min short film that blurs the lines between documentary and fictional filmmaking. Written for and shot at the creative festival Afrika Burn, it tells a fairy tale-like story of how adults were when they were kids and what happens to them when they grow up.
Best Cinematography for Short Documentary for Dean Shamley and Benitha Vlok
Best Sound for Short Documentary for David Houston
Conceptualised and penned by writer director Yolande Botha, it was created with the intention of showing a deeper meaning behind Afrika Burn, beyond the parties that many people associate it with. It has an uplifting message that has been well-received by viewers online from around the world.
Although filming began in 2013, due to challenging circumstances in the Karoo desert, filming had to resume one year later. The wait and the hard work has clearly paid off.
The Brave Cartel's press office
- Yolande Botha directs Shortstraw's latest music video 17 Jul 2017
- Rob van Vuuren stars in The Brave Cartel's content for Hellmann's 6 Feb 2017
- Investec content linked to Keith Rose commercial inspires 29 Apr 2016
- SAFTA nominations for The Brave Cartel short film 18 Feb 2016
- Dark fantasy short impresses at 48 Hour Film Project 16 Nov 2015